150 Years of Fort Worth
Satellite Exhibit located in Fire Station No. l at Second and Commerce streets, downtown Fort Worth.
"150 Years of Fort Worth" traces Fort Worth's development, from its beginning as a frontier outpost, through its rowdy youth as a cattle town, to present day. Created by the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History, in cooperation with Sundance Square Management, L.P., the exhibit is housed in the historic Fire Station No. 1, which was built in 1907. It is located in the Wells Fargo Tower at the northeast corner of Second and Commerce streets.
The exhibit was originally opened in 1984 as part of the Texas Sesquicentennial Celebration and was updated in 1991 and again in 2001. Some of its features include:
- An interactive bunkhouse model featuring a video about Charlie Bell, a well-known Texas Cowboy who spent a lifetime working cattle;
- A scale model of the original Fort Worth, established in 1849;
- A display case containing the uniform and writing desk of Maj. Gen. William Jenkins Worth, Fort Worth's namesake. (Worth, a national hero, died of cholera in San Antonio in 1849, before he could visit or learn about the new fort his men had named for him.);
- A display on the prehistoric Clovis people;
- A bucking bronco that provides a photo opportunity for guests.
For more information, please visit www.fwmuseum.org/150-fort-worth-history.